Friday, March 26, 2010

From my Ephemera Files


As an illustrator and graphic designer, I'm always keeping my eye open for interesting images, illustrations and designs.  I especially have a love for vintage illustrations and graphics, so when I saw these unused beauty and hair product labels a number of years ago at a flea market, I had to have them.  I don't remember exactly what I paid for them, but I do remember they were inexpensive.  I think I got an entire envelope of them for five or six dollars.

They all seem to be aimed at the African-American consumer.  Judging from the somewhat Art Deco graphics, I guesstimate that these are from the late 1920's or early 1930's.  For some background information on the Famous Products Co., the company that produced these items and for a cultural analysis of their imagery, check out this website on Lucky Brown Cosmetics.









No comments:

Post a Comment