Sunday, February 21, 2010

Illustration Friday - Propagate

Illustration Friday is a site for illustrators where each Friday a new word is posted and the challenge is to come up with an illustration for that word.  This week's word is "Propagate."  Since I think I first learned this word from my father, who was a plant pathologist, I decided to do a drawing that reminded me of him and how he taught me to propagate plants by taking cuttings.  The drawing was done using Painter XI utilizing a number of different brushes - liquid ink, soft conte crayon, watercolor, colored pencil and the "real" variable width pen.  I tried to do the image in a style reminiscent of a 1950's or 60's children's illustration.

2 comments:

  1. This looks nice and clean. I like how you emphasize the plant pots with bright colors, against the pale background :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comments. I'm glad that you like the way it turned out.

    ReplyDelete