Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Illustration Friday - Spent

On top of keeping our dog out of trouble, I've been so busy with other projects that I'm late posting this week's 'Illustration Friday' challenge which is the word "Spent." I ended up going with my first thought which was to depict a scene of how a boy spent his saturday, in this case, reading his stash of old comic books. I guess you could say that this illustration is somewhat autobiographical, since that is how I spent many a Saturday as a kid, not to mention days when I was sick and stayed home from school.

The image was created digitally using Corel Painter's water color brushes and a leaky pen brush that I modified somewhat. Below is the original digital pencil sketch that I started with and used as my guide for the finished piece. Beneath that is an intermediate stage where you can still see the pencil sketch showing through.

9 comments:

  1. That looks like a great way for a young boy to spend the day! Just reading the comics with his best buddy at his side. So sweet. love the way you show the step too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I especially like the dog.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks very relaxing to spent your day like this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the colors are soft here. It's a simple but very good image.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have created an illustration with a pleasing light touch which looks absolutely like an actual watercolour and I think your technique is brilliant. Thank you so much for sharing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very sweet illo! I love seeing your sketches as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your characters are so natural and relaxed, so perfectly content! Beautiful! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done Vincent! Masterful handling of your digital medium!

    ReplyDelete