I haven't had time lately to work on this blog because I've been spending all of my time preparing for the upcoming SCBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators) conference in New York. It has long been a dream of mine to illustrate a children's book. I realized that if I ever want this dream to come true, I need to start putting myself and my work out where it can be seen. So, even though it's rather expensive, I decided it might be a worthwhile investment to go to this conference. One of the deciding factors was that there is going to be an Illustrator's intensive day, where illustrators can participate in workshops and have their portfolios looked at by people in the publishing industry.
One of the pieces I've been working on for my portfolio is a scene from a children's story I wrote back in the mid 1980s. It was a story about an abandoned, overgrown garden inhabited by various animals. I'm planning on going back and revising the story, but in the meantime, I dug out from my flat files, a couple of watercolor/pastel illustrations that I did back when I first wrote the story. The paper on which these paintings were done has darkened over the years, and the pastels on the paintings have gotten smudged. In other words they look dingy and out of focus. These days I do almost all of my artwork digitally using Corel Painter XI, so I decided to redo one of these paintings on my computer.